Brecon RFC

63 The Watton

Tel: 01874 624848
Fax: 01874 611719


Click map to find us

Click to enlarge



WRU National League Division 3 South East Saturday 4th April 2009

Brecon 12 – Tylorstown 21

Brecon’s disappointing run of results continued with a home defeat against Tylorstown. Having started the year in third place in the league Brecon have slipped to mid table and this latest reverse will certainly not assist them in reaching their season’s target of a top four place.

In the previous encounter at Tylorstown Brecon won convincingly with a bonus point. For much of the first half it looked as if they would register a similar win on home soil. They scored two good tries and spent most of the first half camped in the visitors 22. The tries through full back Owen Morgan and wing Eurin Morgan showed that they had a cutting edge out wide and with Mark Withey converting they built up a comfortable 12 point lead. The lead should have been even greater but Brecon failed to make the most of their opportunities. However it seemed only a matter of time before they made their superiority count.

Then, just before half time, they allowed their control of the game to slip. Another attack came to nothing but this time with dire consequences. They were turned over in the ruck and Tylorstown counterattacked. A recent failing became all too apparent once again. Brecon’s defence was torn apart and out of nothing the visitors earned a soft try as centre Richard Kucia was given an easy run in for his try. Outside half Dale Jenkins converted and suddenly Brecon’s lead hardly seemed as comfortable as it should have been.

That late score signalled a marked change in the game. Although Tylorstown now had the advantage of a stiff breeze there had been nothing in the first half, until the late score to suggest that they would threaten Brecon’s supremacy. Yet within that score the elements of failure to retain possession and poor defence became more and more apparent as the second half wore on. Brecon became bogged down in their own half as they played an ambitious game of trying to run out of defence. It almost worked on a number of occasions. Half gaps were created but regularly they were either turned over at the breakdown or surrendered a penalty. Yet it looked as if they could hold their lead as their opponents created little and in the end it was the home side who gave away their lead.

Brecon not for the first time looked to run the ball out of defence. Owen Morgan made the half break but was well tackled and when support failed to arrive in time Tylorstown won a turn over. Scrum half Michael Ward put in a speculative chip over the ruck. At first Eurin Morgan seemed to have the ball covered but as it bobbled on the hard ground he failed to gather and the ball bounced into the path of the lone chaser, right wing Anthony Lloyd. His try was converted by Jenkins and Tylorstown took the lead.

Brecon needed to bounce back quickly but all their old faults dogged them. They did create one long range opportunity. Owen Morgan broke clear on half way. He got to the 22 before he was hit by the full back and covering left wing. Again Brecon were turned over and to add insult to injury Jenkins clearly put his kick out on the full. The lines man adjudged that the ball had bounced in play and the visitors gained a clear 60 yards.

They capitalised on their good fortune as they stole the line out and again exposed Brecon’s brittle defence. Eventually flanker Gary Shepherd was driven over the line for a match winning try which Jenkins again converted.











© Brecon RFC 2006-2014