Senghenydd RFC | 1st Team 6 - 37 Brecon RFC | 1st Team
Ewan Williams
1 Try
Ioan Edwards
1 Try
Dean Gunter
3 Conversion
2 Penalty
Owen Morgan
3 Try

Match Report
20 October 2019 / Team News

Senghenydd 6 - Brecon 37

While Brecon have maintained their 100% league record after four matches it would be true to say that they haven’t consistently been at their best. With a week off as a result of Ynysybwl conceding the Plate match, Brecon travelled to Senghenydd with perhaps a hint of anxiety. The league programme has been difficult, with this being the fourth away match out of five. Also with newly promoted Senghenydd having shown some good form in their league programme there was some apprehension in the Brecon camp. Added to that background was the factor that conditions were heavy after a week of heavy rain and although the morning had been dry, as the game started, in front of a large and very vociferous, hostile crowd, rain returned.

The start of the game, however, could not have gone any better for Brecon. Ryan Price brilliantly gathered a kick ahead while under severe pressure and in difficult conditions. With that possession secured Brecon took the game deep into the home 22. The bulky home pack looked well equipped to challenge Brecon’s scrum but 10 metres from their own line they were marched backwards as Brecon’s front row trio, Aiden Luxton, Ryan Williams and Andy Nicholl got the better of their opponents. No score came immediately but at the third re-set Brecon drove the scrum over the line and Ewan Williams scored. Dean Gunter added the conversion for a perfect start for the visitors.

Any thought, however, that this might be an easy victory was quickly dispelled. Senghenydd captain, Number 8 K Hughes made a break from a scrum on half way and took play into the Brecon 22. There Brecon conceded a penalty and Andy Nicholl was sent to the sinbin while outside half L Blakeley kicked the penalty to reduce the arrears to four points. Within minutes he repeated that act to cut Brecon’s lead to a single point.

Reduced to seven in the pack Brecon’s scrum dominance was undermined and Senghenydd exerted huge territorial pressure with some well-directed kicking pinning Brecon back. For almost the next 25 minutes Brecon rarely made escaped from their half. When it appeared that they could escape they tended to give away a penalty or failed to win the ball at the line out. The remainder of the half then was generally one in which Brecon had to work hard in defence. Senghenydd went through multiple phases on a number of occasions but although they kept the ball well they failed to break the Brecon defensive line. They did come close to scoring on two occasions. The first occurred when Blakely struck a long range penalty which bounced harmlessly off the side of the post. The second occurred following a kick ahead. Jake Crockett gathered but his kick was charged down and the ball fell kindly for centre C Jones. A try looked on the cards but Ryan Price made a great covering tackle and the threat was lifted as Brecon won a penalty from the ensuing scrum.

The scare seemed to motivate the Brecon to show greater discipline and accuracy with the ball in their possession. Full back Jake Crockett suddenly looked threatening as Brecon looked to cut loose from the shackles that had constrained them. A threatening attack was halted for a forward pass as Brecon sought to finish the half as they had started it. With time ticking away and rain relenting Brecon suddenly seemed to find the accuracy that was formerly missing. Tom Richards made a half break in the centre and this was followed by a great break in midfield as Sam Campbell cut back and linked with Crockett. His pass to Owen Morgan gave the wing the space he needed and he finished clinically in the corner. Although the conversion failed, Brecon headed into half time with a six point lead.

The pattern of the second half was in complete contrast to that of the first. Brecon seemed to ooze confidence as they suddenly upped the tempo of the game and found the accuracy that had been missing. The catalyst was probably scrum half Scott Gibson. He was instrumental in setting up the first score of the half and his desire to keep things moving was infectious. That first score came from a penalty on half way. Scott took a quick tap and made a great break down the middle of the field. As the defence scrambled to cut him down so he found outstanding flanker, Ioan Edwards, in support. Ioan still had a lot to do but he showed a good turn of pace to run in under the posts. Gunter’s conversion gave Brecon some space on the scoreboard and signalled the start of a purple patch in which Brecon played some scintillating rugby.

The bonus point try came after some great work to win the ball by Richie Davies and a superb Davey Herdman bust in midfield. Again Jake Crockett acted as a link and Owen Morgan picked up his second try when he went over in the corner and Dean Gunter converted brilliantly. He then showed his prowess with the boot by striking two penalties as he capitalised on some great build up work featuring Richie Davies, Darren Witcomb and Sam Campbell.

The icing on the cake came with the fifth try. Sam Campell, Jake Crockett and Ryan Price combined brilliantly with some outstanding offloads being made in order to keep the move alive and finally Owen Morgan claimed his hat trick try.

The result of the game was now decided but Senghenydd refused to just fade out of the game. They put everything into the final period. They came close on one occasion when left wing B Wiegold seemed to have outstripped the cover only for Sam Campbell to show great determination in getting back and pulling off a great tap tackle. At the final whistle the Brecon team gathered in the centre of the field to reflect on not a perfect performance but one which showed periods of exciting and impressive rugby.