Brecon RFC | Youth Team 27 - 24 Tonyrefail RFC | Youth Team
Tudor Roderick
Try 1
Dafydd Edwards
Penalty 2
Gareth Price
Try 1
Sam Hellard
Try 1
Huw Thomas
Penalty 2

Match Report
12 March 2017 / Team News

Brecon Youth 27 - Tonyrefail Youth 25

Brecon Youth returned to league action on Saturday, after a period of friendly and cup fixtures, and also the impacts of the Six Nations. Having visited Caerphilly, the previous weekend, for a successful runout, the home team were hopeful that their return to the business end of the season would see them hit the ground running, both figuratively and literally.
Brecon currently stand top of their division, within the Blues regional structure, and have thoroughly deserved that position at the top of the pile given their consistent performances in what is proving to be a highly competitive league. The nature of that is highlighted by the fact that all teams have taken points of each other, and Saturday's visitors, Tonyrefail, were indicative of that. Whilst they have languished in the lower riches of the league for a large part of the season, they have strung together some impressive performances and results in recent times, and the hosts, whilst having lowered the visitor's colour's in the reverse fixture, would have been under no illusions that they were going to be in for a busy afternoon.
The early stages of the game saw Brecon settle into a comfortable rhythm, and a pattern of play that put their guests under considerable pressure. The early possession and territorial advantages saw Tonyrefail committing offences as they sought to stem the tide, and this became manifest in early scoring opportunities from the kicking tee, and home full back Dafydd Edwards took advantage of this by landing two early penalties.
The home support could have been forgiven for anticipating that this early pressure would, ultimately, see the home team build on this platform to press home their advantage. Notwithstanding this, there were a couple of glimpses of elements in the Brecon game that would come back to hinder the development of a free flowing game as mistakes were made at kickoff time, and also at the breakdown, that hinted at a lack of focus and discipline in the hosts' game. This allowed Tonyrefail to start pressing in terms of enjoying periods of time in the Brecon half although, ironically, a piece of visiting indiscipline saw one of their players receive a yellow card, providing the home team with an opportunity to relieve the pressure.
This they did to great effect as a kick and chase from deep saw them establish themselves in the visiting 22 and, having secured the put in at a resulting scrum, No 8 and skipper, Will Prosser broke from the base and ran hard at the visiting back line, and, following some impressively quick hands, a numerical advantage was established that saw Tudor Roderick continue his prolific season by plunging over for the first try.
Again, given their superiority on the score board and in terms of numbers on the field, the home coaching team would have expected their charges to consolidate their position and press home that supremacy. What followed however proved to be very frustrating to the home team and supporters as they lost a certain amount of focus and also gave away some needless penalties as well as losing a player themselves following an indiscretion at the breakdown.
The visiting team were certainly inspired at this point and they used the reliable platform of their driving line out to claim their first score, and move to the half time whistle firmly believing that they were very much in the game.
The home coaches would have outlined to their players that thy could not afford to concede penalties and territory in such a needless fashion, and they also needed to start performing some of the basics of the game back at their normal reliable standard. Additionally, the continued frustration was that all were aware that the game was there to be won if they played to obvious strengths in the wider channels, and there was a need to ensure that communication was done effectively such that the decision making from the various phases improved.
The second period panned out to be a highly exciting period for the neutral, although the home team supporters were left on tenterhooks as they watched their team put together some impressive phases of play, interspersed with the aforementioned lack of structure and discipline. The visiting Tonyrefail team were well groomed and based their game around a strong pack and some effective ball carriers. Brecon were capable of stretching this team when they hit their normal high tempo game, although they seemed intent on occasions in trying to take the visitors on up front. Allied to the giving away of some needless penalties, some uncharacteristically loose defence put the home team under unessesary pressure.
When they managed to put some pace and width on the game, the potential for further scores was obvious. From a visiting penalty, full back Edwards took a quick tap-and-go and, after making some good yardage, the ball was effectively recycled to release elusive winger Sammy Hellard who crossed for a well worked score. A further impressive period of play saw the three quarters commit the defence, before releasing the looping fly half Gareth Price, who showed his usual impressive turn of pace to outflank the defence for a popular try.
Previous reports have talked of the impact of the Brecon bench and, notwithstanding some injuries, there were still a further fifteen players who could have added value to the home team. A number of them came on and helped maintain the home momentum, including Huwie Thomas who added some further points with the boot.
It was from this platform that Brecon should have gained a controlling influence on the game, although it remained the case that some frustrating mistakes and penalties allowed Tonyrefail to keep within touching distance. This visitors rallied impressively to press the home defence and some desperate home tackling saw a defender slip too high in a tackle to give the referee no option other than to award a penalty try. The resulting conversion tied the scores at 24-24 with enough time only for the kick off and one phase of play.
This prompted Brecon into their most impressive and disciplined phase as they secured the ball from the kick off through some committed counter rucking. Their attempts to work an overlap out wide were thwarted by the visiting defence creeping up offside, and the referee raised his arm to indicate a penalty to the home team that, if converted, would secure the spoils with the last kick of the game.
The impressive Thomas calmly stepped up to stroke the ball over from some 30 metres, and the home team then welcomed the final whistle with a huge cheers and relief as they looked at the scoreboard indicating a three point victory.
In celebrating a win that keeps them top of the league, the players and coaches we're quick to realise that they had 'got out of jail' and there was an immediate, impressive, focus on the remaining two league games, and an understanding that there needs to be clear improvements in certain areas if the team is able to claim some well deserved silverware. The result means that the fate of the league remains in the Brecon squad's hands, and they will need to focus on working hard in training to improve their focus and discipline, and to revisit the attacking game plan that they are well versed in and suited to. There is a busy run-in for this Brecon squad, and they realize that they need to ensure that they maintain previous high standards in the remaining games. Notwithstanding the roller coaster ride of watching this latest victory, the Brecon coaches and supporters recognize that the team deserves rewards for its great efforts over the season, and will look forward to seeing the team improve its performances and to attain levels they are capable of.