Brecon RFC | 1st Team 71 - 7 Ynysybwl RFC | 1st Team
Howell Philip Rhys Morgan
Try 1
Jake Crockett
Try 3
Cameron Gardner
Try 2
Richard Llewelyn Davies
Try 1
Dafydd Edwards
Try 3
Dean John Gunter
Conversion 8
Michael James Powell
Try 1

Match Report
21 October 2018 / Team News

Brecon 71 - Ynysybwl 7

The enforced inactivity of the previous week was quickly forgotten as Brecon hit the ground running and swept all before them at Parc de Pugh. Visitors, Ynysybwl, must have felt that they were still in the middle of storm Callum as they were swamped by a rampant Brecon team. In stark contrast to the previous week, conditions were perfect for running rugby. Parc de Pugh was in pristine condition, there was hardly a breath of wind and the pitch was bathed in warm autumn sunshine. Visitors, Ynysybwl, arrived with a less than impressive record of just 2 wins from their previous seven matches and against high flying Brecon their task was never going to be easy. In addition they were coping with a number of injuries but they can hardly have expected to be so ruthlessly put to the sword. In extending their unbeaten record Brecon were clinical. They quickly realised that Ynysybwl would struggle with a high tempo game and with conditions in their favour, they executed brilliantly.

A number of other factors worked in Brecon’s favour. Although the injury list remained long, a few players returned to the team after regaining full fitness and a number of players made impressive season debuts with the 1st XV. Andy Nichol returned in the front row alongside Ryan Williams and Richie Davies and the scrum became a potent weapon. Even when Ryan and Andy left the fray they were replaced by accomplished deputies. Elgan Lewis returned impressively to hooking duties and Howell Morgan made the most of his promotion to the 1st XV. His try, at the end of an outstanding burst down the right touchline, was greeted by the loudest cheer of the day. In the second row Owain Williams also stepped up from the 2nd XV to join Jonathan James in his first senior outing of the season. Jonathan made a big impression with powerful drives and hard tackling. One such drive in the first minute of the game led to the opening try scored by Cameron Gardner. In the back row the highly influential pairing of Ewan Williams and Ioan Edwards was joined by Will Prosser. After a great cameo start with the first XV in their previous league match he again showed what an exciting prospect he is, as he carried, linked and supported expertly throughout the afternoon. Two other substitutes also made an impression when they entered the fray just after half time. Ryan James, in his first start as flanker with the 1st XV looked completely at home and showed pace and power in the loose while Andrew Hosie was as dependable as ever, making a considerable contribution as a support runner and line out forward.

With the forwards supplying good ball from tight and loose the backs had a field day. They scored nine of the eleven team tries, with the back three of Jake Crockett, Mike Powell and Dafydd Edwards claiming seven. They reaped the rewards of not just their own individual pace and skills but also the excellent work of others. Geraint Workman and his replacement Sam Hellard at scrum half, distributed beautifully and made effective snipes around the fringes. With Sam making his 1st XV debut in his first season out of youth rugby and with Geraint still young enough to play youth rugby, there is huge promise for the future.

At outside half Dean Gunter was the master tactician. He kicked out of hand beautifully and converted eight of the eleven tries but it was his vision and distribution skills which created opportunities for those out wide. Alongside him, at inside centre, was Sam Campbell who was a rock in defence, a threat with ball in hands. However, his greatest strength, on the day, was recognising Brecon’s superiority out wide and making himself the important link which allowed the ball to move into the wide spaces.

The outside backs had an exceptional day. It started with a great Cameron Gardner try in the second minute. By the time the 53rd minute was up Cameron, Jake Crockett and Daffydd Edwards had amassed a total of eight tries between them, giving the team a 50 points to nil lead. Most of the tries were fairly long ranged and frequently spectacular. One audacious pass from between his legs allowed full back Crockett to put Dafydd Edwards into space and the winger made the most of the opportunity as he glided past the cover defence and sped in for a try in the corner. Both Edwards and Crockett scored hat tricks while Gardner picked up a brace.

Ynsybwl did hit back with an excellent try of their own as they broke out from their 22 to score under the Brecon posts and that brought end to trio’s scores but not that of the team. Prop Howell Morgan received an ovation for his try but not to be outdone his fellow prop Richie Davies also went in for a try. The try said everything about the player. After working in the scrums and putting in a huge number of tackles and hard yard runs, he still had the energy to follow up a kick ahead and to be the first to arrive before hacking on gathering and scoring.

The final act of the day was reserved for right wing Mike Powell. While everything seemed to flow towards the left flank Mike was forced to look for work rather than wait for it to come to him. As the game wore on he became more and more prominent and caused the visitors defence considerable discomfort as he threatened them with his pace and power. His final run allowed him to break clear on the outside and he sprinted in for the final try of the day.

While Ynysybwl obviously have some serious issues which need to be addressed, Brecon could not have done any more to put themselves in a good frame of mind as they prepare for their second round Plate match against Llanharan at Parc de Pugh next Saturday.