Senghenydd RFC | 1st Team 13 - 21 Brecon RFC | 1st Team
Jake Newman
1 Conversion
3 Penalty
Jake Crockett
1 Try
Ewan David Williams
1 Try

Match Report
06 November 2016 / Team News

Brecon put the Blues behind them.

Following two consecutive, humbling defeats to high flying Penallta, Brecon desperately needed a confidence boosting result at Senghenydd in the first round of the Mid District Cup. The task, however, was never going to be easy. The two previous visits to Senghenydd ended with disappointment. In both previous matches Brecon started well but fell away in the closing stages and both games were lost. With that as the background there were a number of anxious supporters travelling with the team on a cold, calm Friday evening.

Brecon started well. Davey Herdman, as usual, showed up well in the early stages, making an impact with some huge hits and showing total commitment in all arears. Other early indications were also favourable. The scrum, which has been a problem in recent weeks, looked to have the edge over its opponents. Howell Morgan, newly converted to the tight head of the front row, anchored the scrum and in concert with Jonathan Bowen and Ryan Harris gave the Brecon team a stable base and all three made a major contribution around the field. With Danny Howe and the continually improving Andrew Hosie also performing well in the loose and at the line out, Brecon had a great base from which to build.

They threatened early and took the lead through a Jake Newman penalty. They then suffered a setback as Ryan Harris was instantly shown a yellow card for killing a ball at a ruck and Senghenydd awarded a penalty which they kicked to level the score. The decision was harsh particularly coming so early in the game and leaving Brecon one man short at a critical time.

The team’s response was impressive. Richy Davies was forced into early action off the bench and as part of a scrum, which was now one man light, did a remarkable job. Brecon, rather than sitting back and attempting to hold out, took the game to the home side. A great flowing move in which all the backs were involved gave Brecon a scrum 7 metres out. Number 8, Craig Davies, who had a great all round game, broke and fed Ewan Williams whose power took him through the final defence for a well-deserved score. Newman converted.

By the time Ryan Harris returned Brecon had not only weathered the sin bin period but had increased their lead. Now with a full complement of players Brecon supporters expected further success. For a long time that didn’t come. The pack provided good ball and scrum half Lewis Evans got the ball away well. Joe Evans, in the unfamiliar role of outside half, handled and ran beautifully and the backs looked dangerous only for a failure to hold onto the ball in the tackle to undermine promising moves and as a result no further scoring took place until the final act of the first half. The score when it came was worth waiting for.

From inside his own half Jake Crockett ran onto a pass in midfield. He spotted a gap on the outside and cut between the home centres. His pace carried him to the 22 where he had two players on his right and the cover coming across from the left. A wonderful dummy sent the cover scrambling towards the supporting players and he cut inside to score.

Brecon now kicked off the second half leading by 15 points to 3. They looked confident and hungry for more. However, they had been in this position before and alarm bells began to ring when from an attacking position they allowed the home wing to intercept a pass and race unopposed to the line.

Senghenydd were lifted by the score and began to effectively monopolise possession by using big forwards to pick and drive or to take on the Brecon defence as first receiver. The defence held and when Ewan Williams forced the ball carrier to hold on after a tackle Newman increased Brecon’s lead with a penalty.

Brecon then came close to closing the game out. Eifion Jones made a great break and Jake Crockett was only just bundled into touch in the corner. Then a try scoring move was ruled out for crossing as Brecon began to dominate. Yet what should have been a comfortable run in to the final whistle suddenly became most uncomfortable.

Senghenydd were awarded a penalty on their 22. Brecon lost concentration as they anticipated a line kick. Instead, Senghenydd ran and quickly got behind the Brecon defence. They moved the ball across the field on halfway and with Brecon’s defence scrambling to cut the home winger down he effectively chipped ahead. Brecon’s defence by now was completely spent and the wing comfortably collected his kick and scored. Surely Brecon could not allow their winning lead to be lost for the third consecutive time at the Aber Valley ground? Brecon answered that question almost immediately. Newman kicked his third penalty and Brecon dominated the closing period of the game to lift everyone’s spirits after what has been a testing fortnight.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos