Risca RFC | 1st Team 25 - 41 Brecon RFC | 1st Team
Todd James
Try 1
Curtis Hicks
Try 1
Taylor Dimmick
Try 1
Owen Biddiscombe
Conversion 2
Penalty 2
Jake Crockett
1 Try
Dean John Gunter
3 Conversion
1 Penalty
Ioan Wyn Edwards
1 Try
Richie Elliott
1 Try
Ryan Price
1 Try
Jake Newman
1 Try

Match Report
16 October 2017 / Team News

Risca 25 - Brecon 41

Saturday saw Brecon RFC travel to Risca a team who were 7th position in the league at the start of play but a side who could pose some difficult questions on their own patch.  After suffering the first league defeat and an indifferent Cup performance in the last two weeks it was imperative that the Brecon side got back to the excellent form shown in the opening weeks of the season.

The first half was a stop start, frustrating experience for all spectators with neither team really exercising any control over the game or able to put together any meaningful phases of play.  There were a few niggly incidents during the first half resulting in a series of penalties, talkings to from the referee and ultimately a yellow card for each side.  During the early exchanges it was the home side that landed two penalties and the visitors one to hold a 6 – 3 lead. 

It was in the later stages of the first half that the visitors were able to put together some decisive attacking rugby and following a searing break from Cameron Garner who carried the ball deep into the home 22 after beating 3 defenders that lead to the visitors first try.  Despite being isolated and having the ball turned over at the breakdown the visitors kept the home side under pressure on their own line and the ever present Ioan Edwards charged down the clearing kick and pounced on the loose ball to score his first try of the season and the first try of the day.

From the restart the visitors made their way back into the home side’s 22 and after some good driving forward play close the line and after two infringements in the scrummage, from the home side, the referee lost his patience and awarded the visitors a penalty try.

The visitors defence held firm right up until the 55th minute of the first half and withheld a series of driving mauls, eventually forcing a knock on at which point the half time whistle was blown with Brecon leading 15 – 6.

After half time the visitors started to get their running game going and scored a great try off the back of a scrum on half way.  The ball was moved clinically across the back line putting Jake Crockett in the outside channel and his pace stretched the defence he then drew the full back and put Jake Newman in for a text book try.

The visitors then scored their fourth bonus point try from a lineout in their own territory which was again moved seamlessly across the back line before a final pass was delivered to Richie Elliott to cross for the try.

The fifth try came when the home side lost the ball in the tackle and after hacking through the ball was collected and fed to Ryan Price who sped in for a try.

Brecon probably saved their best try for last and after winning the ball on the floor deep in his own 22, second row Darren Witcomb rather than looking for contact immediately fed the ball wide and a searing outside -break for Adam Hoskins quickly got Brecon into the opposition half and with support from Jake Newman who timed his pass to perfection and put Jake Crockett in for a great try.  To go with the 6 tries (1 Pen try) Dean Gunter kicked 1 penalty and 3 conversions.

The home team never gave up and fought right to the end and scored three tries of which two were converted.

The final score of 41 - 25 ensured another bonus point victory on the road, which the coaching staff will be happy with and keeps the Brecon side in third place closely on the heels of the two leading sides.  Next week Brecon entertain Abertillery BG at Parc De Pugh and everybody will be looking to carry on building the early season momentum.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos