Brecon RFC | 1st Team 83 - 17 Cwmbran RFC | 1st Team
William Prosser
Try 1
Owen Morgan
Try 1
Howell Morgan
Conversion 1
Geraint Workman
Try 1
Jake Crockett
Conversion 1
Lewys Cooke
Try 3
Eifion Jones
Try 2
Jonathan Bowen
Try 1
Davey Herdman
Try 1
Dean Gunter
Conversion 6
Ryan Price
Try 2
Richard Davies
Conversion 1
Try 1

Match Report
05 May 2019 / Team News

League and Plate Double Celebrated

As Brecon negotiate their way through an intensive period of matches and head towards the end of the season, they are reaping the rewards their efforts deserve. The current week perfectly reflects that situation. At the start of it there was the euphoria of winning the Plate at the Principality Stadium. That was followed on Monday with the triumphant tractor and trailer ride through town and the celebrations that followed. After a day off on Tuesday it was back to business on Wednesday as they travelled to Cwmbran to secure the League Title with a bonus point win. That match featured some ugly incidents as Cwmbran, battling to avoid relegation, sought to intimidate the Plate winners. With the return fixture following on Saturday and with the league title already in the bag, there were a number of scores to settle. The match could have been an ugly affair but in the bright Spring sunshine Brecon chose to do what they have done best all season and that was to play attractive fifteen-man rugby. That decision was the best way to respond. They made the most of the conditions, played to their strength and displayed to everyone just why the celebrations that followed the formal league presentation were so well deserved.

The double champions started the game brilliantly. In the first minute a wonderful move which involved some great interplay between Jake Crockett, Davey Herdman, Owen Morgan, Eifion Jones ended with Lewys Cooke scoring a try under the posts. Dean Gunter converted. From the kick off Brecon scored again. The start was somewhat fortunate as they failed to gather the kick off cleanly but the ball bounced kindly for the Brecon side and Jake Crockett made the initial break before Eifion Jones finished brilliantly, breaking through the defence and racing in with a run that started on his own 10 metre line.

At the eleven minute mark Brecon hit for a third time. The move started with a well executed rolling maul. Ioan Edwards broke off and made good ground down the right touchline. When halted the ball was recycled quickly and spread unerringly across the full width of the pitch for left wing Ryan Price to run in unopposed. Gunter again converted to give Brecon a 19 point lead.

The kick off then again proved profitable. Although Brecon failed to gather cleanly, Richie Davies ripped the ball clear and the ball was moved right. Crockett made ground before Owen Morgan raced out of defence and fed Crockett again on the inside. As the cover arrived so did the support from the outstanding Davey Herdman and he finished under the posts with Crockett this time adding the conversion.

When Jake Crockett was just held up after a great cover tackle from the Cwmbran right wing the forwards decided to take control. Off the first scrum five, Will Prosser was held up but at the second attempt he scored after his front five of Andy Nicholl, Ryan Williams, Richie Davies, Jon James and Darren Witcomb, drove their opponents back towards their own line. Gunter converted from wide out.

Cwmbran at last responded with their first period of pressure. Brecon, however, showed that their defence was equally as potent as their attack. Suddenly they switched from defence to attack when from a scrum 5 metres from their own line Gunter put in an audacious chip over the Cwmbran defence. Crockett latched on to the ball and from there some wonderful handling put Ryan Price into space and he raced to the line.

The next try was another long-range affair. From a scrum just outside the Brecon 22 the ball was moved swiftly left. Centre Chris Davies carried and then delivered a sublime pass to Crockett. He linked with Eifion Jones and Ryan Price before Lewys Cooke took the ball on the ten-metre line and raced away to score. Gunter converted.

For the second time Cwmbran imposed themselves in the home 22 but again without any material reward. Brecon repulsed the attack and after the pack destroyed the visitors scrum a loose ball was hacked forward. Owen Morgan won the race to the ball hacked on again and Lewys Cooke picked up and raced away to score his third try. Gunter’s conversion took Brecon’s score to 52 points as half time was signalled.

The second half started with the same pattern. Brecon scored almost immediately as Cwmbran lost possession on half way. Owen Morgan kicked the ball through, Lewys Cooks picked up, beat a few defenders and presented Richie Davies with a well-deserved run in for a try which he also converted. Within minutes the next try was recorded as Dafydd Edwards demonstrated how elusive he was and then delivered a telling pass which allowed Eifion Jones to cross for his second try which Gunter converted. Geraint Workman then got in on the act as he broke blind from a scrum to score in the corner.

Brecon then lost concentration. Trying to run out of defence the ball was dropped and Brecon made a hash of clearing the danger allowing Cwmbran to register their first points of the day with an unconverted try. Brecon responded with a try of their own when Johnny Bowen finished off after a barnstorming Darren Witcomb run. This time Howell Morgan converted.

Then for a period all the scoring went Cwmbran’s way. A neat chip over the defence and a kind bounce led to a second try and a third followed almost immediately. With Brecon attacking in the visitors 22, right wing James Tucker intercepted a pass and showed great pace to leave everyone in his wake to score under the posts. The try was converted.

One more try would have given the visitors a bonus point but it wasn’t to be as Brecon closed the door and finished with a try. Man of the Match Chris Davies created the opening with a beautifully angled run. In space he fed Owen Morgan and he was never going to be caught.

The match ended with WRU Director Rob Butcher presenting the League trophy to a team celebrating a unique double in which they picked up both Plate and League titles in a historically unique week. This, however, is not the end of the season’s activity. On Wednesday they play their final league game at home against Penallta and then they face Glamorgan Wanderers in a home and away play off match on the 11th (home) and 18th May (away) with the winners gaining promotion to the Championship. So, while justifiably basking in the glory of an outstanding season, there can be no relaxing as they face a critical period which could take them on to an almost unthinkable treble.