Brecon RFC | 2nd Team 31 - 27 Bargoed RFC | 2nd Team
Gareth Price
Try 1
Gari Davies
Conversion 3
Penalty 1
Try 1
Thomas Witcomb
Try 1
Sam Hellard
Try 1

Match Report
12 December 2021 / Team News

Brecon 2nd XV 31 - Bargoed 2nd XV 27

With the 1st XV seeing no action, Brecon RFC’s focus of attention fell on its young second XV. The team led by player coach Alan Taylor and Team Manager Lyn Parry have started the season well with seven wins from their eleven games played to date.  Saturday’s, match against a far more experienced, mature and physical Bargoed team presented one of their stiffest challenges to date. From the outset it was clear that Brecon would and face a hard physical contest. The fact that game was undecided right down to the last act was credit to both sides and a great advert for second team rugby. The eight tries, shared equally between the two teams, included a number of length of the field tries and the game was played at a breath-taking pace involving some great end to end passages of play.

For Brecon a number of players impressed. Gari Davies, one of the more senior players, took control at outside half and contributed a total of sixteen points with a try, four conversions and a penalty. Tommy Witcomb at hooker showed up everywhere in the loose and displayed great handling skills and an appetite to take on the opposition. Gareth Price, playing on the left wing was a constant threat to the opposition with his pace and elusive running and he brilliantly finished with a great, match defining, moment as he cut in for the winning try in the closing minute. Sam Hellard at scrum half was sharp and snatched a great interception try after running in from seventy metres out. Josh Millichap was, as ever, a great go-to player when Brecon needed someone to carry over the gain line and his brother Luke and front row partner Howell Morgan, did a great job against much bigger opponents at the scrum and still found the energy to carry and support across the field. James Hellard in the centre had a great game. Time and again he made the half break with his strong direct running and came close to scoring on a number of occasions. Rhys Peters, his partner in the centre, also looked dangerous with ball in hand as did full back Louis Harris and wing, Matthew Watkins. In the second row Ben Pritchard was a tower of strength at the line out and when called on to carry the ball. He was well supported by partner Dewi Worwood. Flankers Konrad Krywko and Ben Kenchington worked hard both in attack and defence with Ben in particular showing great hands. Subs, Alan Taylor, Ioan Edwards, Dafydd Edwards and Rhys Mills also played their part in securing a win that elevated Brecon to second place in Rhondda and East Glamorgan Division A just prior to the start of the second round of matches.

In the game itself Brecon started brilliantly. After exerting huge pressure near their opponents’ line, Sam Hellard broke and fed Tommy Witcomb who crashed over for the opening score which Gari Davies converted. Bargoed hit back immediately. From a scrum their number 8, one of their outstanding players, broke and from the resulting maul they drove over for an unconverted try.

Brecon hit back and created opportunities. Charges by Tommy Witcomb, James Hellard and Josh Millichap were just held up short. Then lovely chips by both Gari Davies and Gareth Price almost resulted in scores but Bargoed hung on and created an opportunity of their own through great work by their No 8 and their outstanding scrum half. Their threat, however, was extinguished when Sam Hellard intercepted on the Brecon 22 and ran the length of the field to score. Davies again converted. As the half drew to a close Brecon extended their lead with a third try after a great Gari Davies kick and chase. Rhys Peters got to the ball first, hacked ahead and Davies finished with the try and conversion.

Brecon started the second half with a comfortable lead and with wind advantage but they soon found the lead being trimmed back. Again, the Bargoed Number 8 was the catalyst. His break from his own half allowed Bargoed to get behind the Brecon defence and when the ball was moved wide their left wing took advantage of the space and scored in the corner. That long range effort was bettered within minutes as Bargoed ran out of defence and with their 8 and 9 again prominent they ended with the scrum half scoring.

Brecon’s diminishing lead was cut even further when Bargoed scored again from another long-range attack. Now with just a one-point lead, Brecon sensibly took a penalty kick at goal and the trusty Davies boot extended the lead to four points. At this stage and in such a match it wasn’t enough. Bargoed’s number 9 hit back again with a try which was converted and with the momentum with them and with time running out, they looked the most likely winners. Brecon’s response showed great character as they took the game to their opponents. Suddenly it was all Brecon. They looked to have scored only to be pulled back for a crossing offence and time drifted away until the last play was called. In the last moment, the match was decided. Brecon moved the ball wide and Gareth Price cut inside past two defenders and dotted down under the posts for a great winning try. Davies converted and Brecon celebrated.