16 November 2021 / Club News

Brecon RFC Second XV 41 v Mountain Ash Second XV 16

Brecon 2nds travelled to Mountain Ash last Saturday with a depleted squad due to injuries and unavailability and with only 2 subs with a combined age of over 90 it was never going to be an easy task.
From the off however, Brecon started strongly and against a much larger pack. They decided early on that using the whole width of the pitch would be beneficial to try and tire the oppositions forwards and gain an advantage from this.
That said, the Brecon front 5 being Luke Millichap who anchored the scrum, Howell Morgan playing at hooker for the first time in a couple of seasons, Jamie Evans putting in numerous big tackles, Ows Williams who controlled the line out and Deri Worwood who carried the ball all day and played a full 80 minutes, all ensured Brecon had enough ball for the backs to use in the wide channels.
The back row being Josh Pritchard, Josh Millichap, Konrad Krywko who later moved to centre and replacement Al Taylor tackled anything that moved, also ensured Mountain Ash had very few opportunities to score any tries.
It wasn’t long before Brecon scored 4 first half tries through Daf Edwards, Gaz Price, Gari Davies and a 50 metre solo effort from Konrad Krywko playing out of position in the centre following an injury sustained by scrum half Ryan Williams. All converted by outside half Gari Davies. The other backs being Captain James Hellard, Matty Watkins and Eifion Morgan also played their part in the scoring of these tries and showed great attitude in the effort made by all involved.
Mountain Ash replied with 3 first penalties to leave the half time score 28 - 9 to Brecon.
The second half was a much tighter affair with Mountain Ash using their larger squad well and scoring an early try. This seemed to energise Brecon and following a lovely move between forwards and backs, Daf Edwards now playing at scrum half produced classic corner flag finish to increase Brecons lead. Two further penalties by Gari Davies who kicked and controlled the game all day stretched Brecons lead further to 16-41.
Special mention to Gareth Morgan who subbed along with Al Taylor to ensure the game went ahead.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments