Brecon RFC | 1st Team 20 - 0 Bedlinog RFC | 1st Team
Jake Crockett
Try 1
Sam Hellard
Try 1
Jake Newman
Conversion 1
Penalty 1

Match Report
05 September 2021 / Team News

Brecon 15 - Bedlinog 0 (Match Abandoned after 20mins)

Following a break of three weeks from competitive rugby, Brecon 1stXV were eagerly looking forward to the return visit of Bedlinog. Brecon narrowly defeated Bedlinog on their home ground in the corresponding WRU Plate Pool Match. There was little to choose between the two sides on that occasion with Brecon having to defend their slender three point lead deep in their own territory as the match was brought to an end. In excellent calm and bright, early autumn conditions, the large crowd at Parc de Pugh anticipated a close and entertaining match. For twenty minutes they were not disappointed.

Brecon started well and took an early lead thanks to a Jake Newman Penalty. They then made a complete hash of receiving the kick off and were fortunate that Bedlinog failed to convert two penalty opportunities. From a following line out, on the Brecon 22, Bedlinog went for a drive but were held up by an excellent counter drive. When told to, “use it,” one of their forwards broke off he was hit by outstanding flanker Davey Herdman who executed a superb tackle and release. Back to his feet in a flash, he re-engaged and won the ball on the ground. In spite of being deep in their half Brecon saw the opportunity and moved the ball to Jake Crockett on the left wing. Crockett chipped ahead, hacked on and then regathered the ball. With the line in his sights he shook off a final tackle and scored the opening try which Newman converted.

With their tails up Brecon now looked dangerous from all parts of the field. The second try, when it came was another long range effort. Number 8 Ryan James, who was prominent throughout, broke blind off a scrum on his 22. He made good ground before feeding right wing Ryan Price. He cut inside and found Davey Herdman in support. With the line approaching the cover started to track Davey down but he showed great awareness to link again on the outside with supporting scrum half Sam Hellard. Sam crossed the line for a try which gave Brecon an early 15 point lead. Sadly that was as far as the match went. With twenty minutes on the clock the referee succumbed to a severe calf injury as he followed the race to the line. Such was the injury that he was unable to continue and as he was helped off the field so the players of both sides shook hands accepting that there was no alternative but to abandon the game and to face one another again in a re-match.

Brecon now, after less than ideal period of match time, have to focus on the local derby against Builth Wells on the Groe next Saturday. Everyone expects a real challenge in what has become something of a rarity, a competitive local derby fixture, which is sure to attract a large crowd of enthusiastic supporters.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos