Brecon RFC | 2nd Team 57 - 14 Crickhowell RFC | 1st Team
Ethan Morgan
Try 1
Morgan Price
Conversion 3
Owen Rees
Try 1
Joshua Millichap
Try 2
Louis Hayes
Try 1
Ben Griffin
Conversion 1
Try 3
Ioan Harris
Conversion 2

Match Report
29 August 2021 / Team News

Brecon 2nd XV 57 - Crickhowell 1st XV 14

On a glorious late summer afternoon Brecon 2nd XV welcomed neighbours Crickhowell to Parc de Pugh. Apart from the local friendly rivalry the game was made more meaningful as it was the first match to be played by a Brecon RFC team following the sad loss of stalwart Andrew (Gonzo) Williams. Andrew was part of a wider family that has served Brecon RFC with distinction for many years. He played for the Club; progressing through Youth and senior teams and then after retiring as a player he served on the committee and dedicated himself to the unglamorous role of helping to sustain and manage the Club’s 2nd XV. It was, therefore, appropriate that it was the second XV that represented the Club in a match that was attended by many of his family. This was undoubtedly a celebration of his of his life and his long term role within the Club.

The match itself certainly fitted the circumstances perfectly. After a respectful minutes silence and a short eulogy spoken, with feeling, by Brecon’s Chairman Paul Amphlett, the match displayed all that is good about the sport and the rugby family. Both teams entered into the spirit of things and produced a high tempo match which was full of movement, skill and ultimately tries. The crowd was thoroughly entertained by two young local teams and afterwards there was time to reflect, with the family, on Andrew’s commitment and dedication to a Club that was always a major love and focus of his life.  

From the kick off Brecon displayed the way in which they wanted to play. Outside half Ioan Harris immediately caught the eye with a wide range of distribution skills which allowed his outside backs time and space. The first try came after a lovely inside pass found prop Rhys Mills who made ground. Hooker Tommy Witcomb then showed lovely hands to give wing Ethan Morgan space on the outside. He left defenders floundering as he headed for the corner for the first try which Harris converted.

Brecon almost immediately scored a second but Tommy Witcomb was brought down just short and the effective Crickhowell backrow unit of Ben Scott, Ieuan Best and Keanu Morris won a turnover penalty. From there Crickhowell worked their way upfield and looked threatening as they attacked on the Brecon 22 only for impressive Brecon centre, Louis Hayes to intercept and run 75 metres to score.

Crickhowell were not disheartened by the setback and as Brecon’s discipline began to slip the visitors worked their way into the game. With outside half, Tom Keane, mixing up the game nicely Brecon were kept on the back-foot. The defence held until powerful No 8 Keanu Morris broke through with an unstoppable straight run to score under the posts. Centre Rhys Jones converted.

Heartened by the response Morris again caught the eye with a powerful surge but this time Brecon’s flankers Iwan Havard and Konrad Krwyko won the turnover. From there they launched an attack with No 8 Josh Millichap gaining good ground as he drove hard at the defence. Again poor discipline cost them territory as they were penalised and marched back ten metres for dissent. Crickhowell took advantage and with Keane continuing to look an accomplished outside half, they created openings. With Brecon also giving away penalty after penalty a second Crickhowell score looked likely and only a magnificent try saving tackle in the corner by Ethan Morgan maintained the home side’s lead. It took a line out steal by second row Ben Pritchard to relieve the pressure and allow Brecon to revert to their free flowing style that suited them. Tommy Witcomb again showed great hands and Louis Hayes made a break before delivering a perfectly timed pass to Ben Griffin allowing him to run in to score in the corner.

Crickhowell almost capitalised as Brecon attempted to run out of defence. They gathered the loose ball and second row Robbie Lewis was brought down just short of the line. The mistake, however, did not dampen Brecon’s ambitious game plan and they were rewarded when Ben Griffin broke out of his 22 and fed wing Owen Rees who raced in to the line. Ioan converted to give Brecon a comfortable lead. Just before half time the lead was extended. A great Harris kick into space behind the defence and a great chase put Crick under pressure. The clearance was hurried and picked up by an onrushing Griffin. He had support from Iwan Havard who showed wonderful hands and awareness to switch the ball back inside for Griffin to score his second and add the conversion.

Crcikhowell needed to start the second half well and they did. Prop Gavin Norman made a great surge through the middle. Keane then delivered a lovely pas to the ever present Keanu who scored his second try. Jones converted. Now back in the game Crickhowell worked hard but they were rocked back on their heels when Konrad Krywko cut back on a beautiful angle and fed Morgan Price who scored and added the conversion. Now clear, Brecon threw everything into attack and with replacement Jonathon James making some powerful forward drives a further score looked inevitable. When it came, it deservedly went to hard working Josh Millichap who drove over under the posts for Price to convert. Millichap added a second try which Price converted after veteran Alan Taylor showed some wonderful handling skills. The final score was set up by Phil Saunders when his pass gave Ben Griffin some space 30 metres out. A step, followed by a great hand off and searing pace took him to the line for his third try and the match’s concluding score.

Next week the focus will return to Brecon’s 1st XV as they welcome Bedlinog to Parc de Pugh.