Gwernyfed RFC | Youth Team Under 18 43 - 12 Brecon RFC | Youth Team Under 18

Match Report
21 November 2021 / Team News


Brecon v Gwernyfed derby matches always attract a good crowd. This was once again the case as the two young sides faced each other at Trefecca Road on a calm, dry, autumn evening for the first time since the start of the Covid Pandemic. The score line suggested that the game was totally one sided with Gwernyfed running out as easy winners. This hardly reflected the run of play which for the most part was competitive but there were clear differences between the two sides.


Gwernyfed started well and imposed early pressure on the Brecon team. Brecon’s defence at this stage held firm and after a good turn over took play into the Gwernyfed 22. Wing Charlie Saunders had a good run and then when Brecon were repelled from a scrum on 5 metres the ball was spread wide and Sam Davies scored the opening try in the left corner.


Brecon almost extended their lead when Joe Palmer intercepted on half way but he was tackled and at the ensuing scrum and Gwernyfed cleared their lines brilliantly. Not only did they prevent Brecon from scoring but they immediately took play into the Brecon half through the boot of outside half Gethin Davies and then Davies himself waltzed through the Brecon defence to score and draw his side level. This passage of play highlighted a difference between the two sides that was to be repeated many times throughout the game. First outside half Davies was outstanding in all aspects of play. He kicked intelligently throughout. Long when it was needed and expertly weighted when there was space out wide. His distribution skills were also excellent but it was his running skills that caused Brecon the greatest problem. He was both elusive and strong. Time and again Brecon players fell off the tackle and he and his team made the most of their opportunities. Brecon by contrast were porous in defence and spurned opportunities when they came their way. 


Gwernyfed’s second try came after another counter attack. Brecon lost the ball in the opposition half and Gwernyfed swept up-field to score an almost length of the field try. The third try followed a similar pattern. Brecon put pressure on but lacked confidence and kicked the ball away in attack. Gwernyfed immediately countered with their full back leaving a trail of would be defenders in his wake before linking and setting up the score. The fourth, just before half time, came from a quickly taken tap penalty.


Twenty four points to five down at half time was not a comfortable position to be in but at the start of the second half Brecon re-grouped and put Gwernyfed under severe pressure. Back row partners Ellis Jenkins and Teilo Harris were prominent, carrying the ball hard and working off the ball. A number of times they were held just short of the line by the impressive Gwernyfed defence but finally Iestyn Phillips crashed over for a try which was converted. Now for Brecon, just twelve points down, there was a chance of a come-back. This seemed even more of a possibility when Lewie Crockett made a great break in mid-field. With the Gwernyfed defence broken for once he needed support on his shoulder instead the Gwernyfed cover forced a penalty and the chance evaporated.


The Brecon team was then hit by a double blow which showed just how clinical Gwernyfed could be. A Brecon driving maul near the home line was repelled and Teilo Harris was penalised for a double movement as he stretched for a try. From the penalty clearance Gwernyfed showed great support for ball carriers and going through a number of phases they eventually scored at the other end of the field. To add insult to injury they followed that up with an interception try from half way.


Brecon now faced a mountain to climb but they still didn’t give up. Again they battered away in the Gwernyfed right hand corner but without success. Finally the lively Gwernyfed Number 8 stole the ball and Davies put in a big clearance. Brecon attempted to run back but the chase was good and the tackle effective. Caught on half way, Brecon lost the ball and Gwernyfed did what they had done all night and that was to clinically finish with a try. 


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos